Tasty Tomato Pesto Tart
Summer time - or any time, this tart is super tasty any time of the year. Served hot with salad for a great value dinner, or enjoy it cold on picnics.
Write a review
- 5 sheets filo pastry
- 50g butter, melted
- ¼ cup basil pesto
- 300g mixed coloured cherry tomatoes, halved
- 5 eggs
- ½ cup cream
- 2 teaspoons thyme leaves
- ¼ cup basil leaves
- Preheat oven to 190°C. Grease a 24cm tart dish with butter.
- Lie on sheet of filo horizontally over the tart dish, allowing the excess pastry to drape over the rim. Brush the pastry with butter and then cover with another sheet of filo, lying vertically over the dish. Brush with butter and continue to add remaining sheets of pastry swapping between vertical and horizontal and brushing with butter in between. Trim any torn edges of filo pastry but allow a few cm of excess pastry to sit above the dish.
- Spread the pesto over the pastry base.
- Cover the base with the tomatoes, cut side facing upwards.
- Whisk the eggs and cream together, then carefully pour the mixture over the tomatoes.
- Season with salt and pepper, and sprinkle with thyme leaves.
- Bake for about 30 minutes until the tart is golden and only just set in the centre. Cover with foil while baking if the pastry starts to colour too much.
- Sprinkle with basil leaves and serve with a green salad.
I Love Eggs http://www.eggs.org.nz/